Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Prompt #1

My ideal American high school student is a white, blonde female cheerleader who lives in the affluent suburb of Dublin named Lilah Moore. White Americans often do not face the prejudice that other races face and being rich further compounds the advantages. Lilah’s family is the very picture of perfect with her father being a doctor, her mother works in public relations and her brother is a lovable young scamp. Lilah is interested in tutoring urban kids and other volunteering activities because it is highly regarded to be involved in bettering the community and world. This shows that she is generous and not selfish. She is a cheerleader because cheerleaders are often popular within high schools.

All of the music I chose for Lilah was from a list of the most popular music of the moment. The television shows are also popular among teens. Popular music and television shows show that she is in touch with the culture of her peers. Lilah’s favorite books are a mix of highly regarded literature and some of the more popular simplistic stories. Being intelligent is a great boon in this world. Regarding her political views, she is democratic because it is the foremost political view in her area. The quotes that Lilah likes are from Grey’s Anatomy, Julius Caesar, and the Bible. This is a mix of the contemporary, the classics, and religion. Lilah is Christian because it is the most popular religion in this country and being religious is seen as ideal by society. All of the choices I made for Lilah are what I believe that society in general exalts. She is a mix of popularity, teen culture, and the expectations of adults. Lilah is society's ideal, the popular and selfless beautiful teen with the seemingly perfect life.

1 comment:

  1. I found your idea for the ideal American High School student to be very interesting. What really surprised me when I was reading your reflection was that you incorporated so many different aspects of high school students into Lilah's personality. She wasn't just a "popular girl", a "geek", or a "religious nut". Instead you she was a little bit of everything. I feel like you attempted to include every part of high school, and you achieved it well for all the positive traits. My one concern is it any less ideal if she also liked skateboarding and ska music, these traits might not seem ideal, but I feel they are ideal of any high school.

    ReplyDelete